Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Go.

RIGHT
I had no idea that I would ever feel this way about you. You were once a small dot on the map of my busy days. A thousand times I walked mindlessly past you, never bothering to do a second take. You were not, unsurprisingly, what I was looking for, as I was not, without a doubt, what you would have settled for. And then our paths got tangled. Our worlds grew smaller, smaller still, drawing us close together. Suddenly, I saw you, and you saw no one but me. Suddenly, what was once impossible has never felt more right.


UP
And so you chased, and so I fell. For the first time in what seemed like an endless, unforgiving forever, I had someone to push me up, stubbornly denying the existence of gravity. You were there, freezing time, unknowingly changing its fluid state. You were there, building cities of light in my tumbleweed chest, planting gardens of hope in my death-reeking faith. There’s no way you’re real, I said, as I followed you with my eyes, firmly believing that once I blinked, you’d be gone. But you chased, and I fell, and I realized, not everyone who falls, falls down.


DOWN
Being with you, it wasn’t much. You made my good days better, but you also gave me the worst ones. There were dark blue nights filled with starry skies, with sleepy whispers on the other line, with the saddest secrets spilled on my pillow in liquid. I could spend all day listening to you speak, weaving dreams after dreams of the too distant future, but I couldn’t stand one syllable of someone else’s name sitting on your velvet lips, resting in your beautiful mind. With this jealousy born of silly, baseless accusations, I drove you out and crashed us down.


LEFT
I had no idea I would ever feel this way about you. I was once the Earth, orbiting your sun, tucking myself up with your warmth. You were the single most prevalent thought in my mind, scattered loose and bundled tight at the same time. I knew you better than I knew my prayers at night. You were my verse, each day’s contented sigh. Stay with me forever, I asked, baring to you my every truth. Nothing lasts forever, you said, not even I. It took me this long to realize, but you were right, and I was left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment