Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

For Once,Things Are As Bright As They Seem.

Sometimes,we walk so often in the dark that we come so close to forgetting what it feels like to see the light. It's like losing hope, letting go of all the faith you've had, and just letting the waves take you to the shore.

Life, my friends,as we all know it, doesn't always happen the way we want it to. There'd be problems and struggles,we'd fall to our knees, there'd be those awful days when we'd look in the mirror, touch our hair or the lines in our faces, and say "God, I look terrible."

What I learned lately is that life will always suck for those who always think it sucks. It all depends on how you deal with it. Positive thoughts emit positive energy, in my opinion, and I've decided to take a stand and instead of trying to prevent myself from getting carried away by the waves, I started to learn to swim with the current. Go with the flow until I can touch the sand again, until the storm is calm, until I can get hold of everything again.

It makes me sad that we complain so much about the things we don't have. I'm guilty of this. But last night, I was on the bus, headed home. It was 11 in the evening, it was freezing cold, and the streets are dark. A table was laid out on the street. It was lit by a kerosene lamp. On the table was a bottle of vinegar, a basket of balot (boiled premature duck eggs, a famous Filipino street food), and chicharon, and packets of cigarettes. An old lady is manning this tabe, clad in two jackets, watching the cars pass by, probably hoping someone would buy from her some time.

That got me thinking really hard. What if that old lady was my grandmother? You might say I overreacted, but I was on the verge of tears. I was thinking of possible reasons why my grandmother might end up being a street vendor, and the only reason I could think of was myself. I know, deep down in my being that if needed be, my grandmother would do that for me. To be able to put food in my plate. To be able to throw clothes on my back. That old lady must be working for her grandchildren,too, and there I was, barely contented with the things I already have.

To some of you,it may be just like, "Oh, she's being dramatic again, blah blah blah," and I won't blame you, because we're different people. The greatest love I know is the love I have for my grandmother, and all through these years I've been taking a lot of things for granted,and not once did she complain. It's funny how the smallest things could wake us up from our deepest slumbers sometimes. I don't know what has gotten into me, but as soon as I was done thinking about the things I have, and burying all the things I don't have in the back of my mind, I felt better.

I have everything anyone could ever need. The things I don't have,those are some of the things I want,but don't really need. Life has a strange way of showing it to us, but it can be everything we want it to be, if only we'd see things diferently.

Today, I feel better than I've ever felt before. I feel lighter, happier. I've learned to accept my flaws and embrace everything I am, as well as everything I'm not. I've got what I need, what I love. This should make me smile for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment