Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Slingshot: Aimed At Everyone


Hello, I'm back with a strong will to rant, so feel free to hit the X button on the upper right corner of your browser if you are not willing to hear the truth, because I feel miserable and misery loves company. Not this time, not this time. I just want to claim my right to a nagging spree.

Okay, just in case you are living in a delicate bubble where cursing and swearing A LOT is acceptable, go away, as I'm currently holding a needle to pop your world. Let me tell you first that I am not a goody two shoes who doesn't cuss and swear when an unfortunate situation comes. I do say bad words... But only when I'm desperate and exasperated.

It just annoys me that kids right now think it's proper and acceptable that they curse as they please. Call me old fashioned, but I'm not a hypocrite. See? Saying F-CK in a sentence is not good, but we really can' avoid it at times, right? So I think we could bear with that. I could bear with that, as well as SH-T and other cuss words that I wouldn't really want to type here one by one. You get the picture. It's okay as long as you watch your words, moderate, and use them properly.

But when you start using a cuss word for EVERY SENTENCE you say, now, that's an entirely different issue. I don't know what's with cursing, I mean, do kids nowadays think it makes them seem cool and independent when they swear? If they do, then I have a very different point of view from them. It's up to you to realize who's seeing the world in a good perspective, and who's seeing otherwise.

I'll admit it here that I'm shooting one kid in particular, but you wouldn't guess who this kid is. You don't know him/her, but when I was her age, I cursed, and guess what? My aunt slapped my lips with my then newly bought slippers and it hurt a lot. I never cursed since then, I never attempted. All I'm saying is that time changes a lot of things, but things like this one (proper language and guidance from elders) shouldn't be moved by time. It will do all of us no good if you pepper every single phrase with curse words. I even think it's repulsive when I see or hear one curse like there's no tomorrow.

Sure, hit me with the overused phrase that the Philippines is a democratic country, and that we are all free to do and say what we want to. True, it is. But as Filipinos, inhabitants of this paradise, we carry within us the responsibility to preserve what polite manners our ancestors have passed along to us. I'm not saying we shouldn't curse or swear or do this or that, cause I'm not in position to dictate. We all have our own mind and emotions to help us deal with what's wrong or right, use it. Swearing doesn't make you look cool. In fact, the younger you are when you curse, the less chance you have to ever gain my respect.

Kthanxbai.

P.S.

I know the photo is irrelevant to the subject, or so as you might have been thinking. Well, no. I took this photo last June 1, a bridge in my Aunt's boyfriend's house. I just thought it goes well with my little rant above, because if you open up your heart and actually suck my message in, then you would understand, and finally, it would be like crossing that bridge from one side to the other. Unadultered happiness is waiting for you, mate. Happy trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment