Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Flimsy Ribbons of Fate-An Excerpt

"I don't like this pen." He tossed the stupid pen across the room to my table. G-Tech. What a stupid ass. "It's yours." He beamed.

I smiled at myself; I love pens and that one was new. I didn't even understand why he bought it in the first place if he didn't really like it. Not like that matters--at least I got to keep it.

"Lunch?" I jumped up from my seat. His face was an inch away from mine, and I could smell the nice scent of his aftershave. "My treat."

"I can pay for my lunch, thank you very much." I remarked sarcastically. I was tired of people staring whenever he paid for my food.

Coke in hand, sandwich in another, I made my way to our usual seats while he trailed behind me. These past few days, he had been acting strange, and it didn't pass my keen observation.

Munching on my sandwich while he hummed a tune, I started thinking, looking for clues in particular.

Last week, he gave me a set of notebooks, saying he didn't want or need them anymore.Being the writer that I am-I love journals-I accepted them without question. And then there's that stupid Barney doll that sings the I Love You song. He said he picked it up somewhere and didn't have any use for it, so he gave it to me.

"Do I look like a trash can?" I asked him one day when he handed me a Dee Dee eraser that 'his sister didn't fancy anymore'. I love Dee Dee from Dexter's Laboratory, so again, I did not refuse, but his habit was starting to wear me off.

"You're too cute for a trash can." He teased. "Don't you like them?"

"I do."

"Then just thank me and smile!"

I rolled my eyes at him. That didn't end there. I think he might have raided his room or their whole house, for that matter, looking for something to hand me down. In a week's time, I've been bombarded with second hand things-a Hello Kitty pen, a headband his sister didn't want anymore, an old but cute pillow case, a headset, a box of crayons--everything small but remarkably sweet and well thought of.

And then it hit me: that crayon box was sealed.The pen's ink level was high, the headband had a price tag, and the headset was in perfect condition.

I grabbed my coke bottle to gulp down a bite of sandwich that almost choked me. Cough, cough, cough. He looked at me as if I'd gone mad, but I knew the truth. If there's someone there who had gone mad, it was not me, it was him.

"Alex." I called out, looking sternly at him. He raised his eyebrows in question, still chewing on his sandwich.

"Alex, are you trying to court me?"

He gasped.

**
This is just an excerpt from a novel I'm trying hard to write. Hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment