Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Let's Call It A Daydream

“She’s in love with someone else.” He sighed, looking at the pavement.

I patted his back gently, my hands rubbing circles to comfort him. “I know exactly how you feel.”

He turned to me, his eyes full of resentment. “No, you don’t. Nobody will understand, unless they’re on the same situation.”

I looked away, into the sun setting down the horizon. “Well, I am on the same situation.”

Surprised, he put an arm on my shoulder. “Tell me who he is.”

He was my best friend since we were kids. We kept no secrets, no inhibitions from each other. I took a deep breath, scared of what the outcome might be. But my heart was about to explode; I could not hold it all inside anymore.

“It doesn’t really matter. You’re in love with her.” I felt blood rush to my cheeks. I was never one to blush, but that moment was just to much for me to keep confident.

Again, he was surprised. Or taken aback, I really didn’t know. All I know was that his arm that was slung around my shoulder was there no more. He took a step away, confusion filling his sad eyes.

“That’s right.” I continued, still watching the five o’clock sunset. “I love you.”

I turned to look at him, in his eyes, but he quickly looked away. I was hurt, even though I didn’t have the right to be.

“I love her.” He said, rubbing his face with his palms.

I smiled, knowing there’s nothing I could do. I concealed the pain, the rejection. I tried hard to look happy for him. “I know.” I nodded, still smiling. “I know…”

He started walking away without a word. I was left by the shore, throwing rocks at the crashing waves. It was getting dark, but I didn’t care. Tears started spilling down my cheeks, destroying my happy facade.

I wonder how life manages to be so unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment