Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Sunsets

There is nothing more musical than a sunset. He who feels what he sees will find no more beautiful example of development in all that book which, alas, musicians read but too little - the book of Nature.
Claude Debussy


What is it with sunsets that capture me? Everyday, when I see one, I grow more thankful that I am alive; that I am, once again, able to witness one of God's most precious creations.

The sunrise also holds an appeal to me, of course, like it does to any other person, but I can't explain the bond I share with the sunset-it is, indeed, something inexplicable.

On the road, when I'm traveling with my family, or with anyone else, or even when I'm alone, for that matter, and my earphones are plugged in my ears, I always choose a seat that would allow me to face west. While soft music lull me to tranquility, patiently, I wait for the sun to retreat down from its throne, while the moon claim its place in the nighttime sky. Oftentimes, it would all be orange and pink battling for dominance above, but when I am lucky, the skies would sometimes be splattered with linear patterns of blue, green, and purple. And that's when I'd crane my neck, looking up, as tree branches sway above me.

When I'm at home, it's better. I sit on a rock or go up the roof and lie...Just lie there till my favorite time comes. I am not pessimistic; people tend to say I am just because I love the sunset. I just like reflecting on how good or bad my day has been. I like ending it that way. It energizes me. It makes me hope and look forward to a prettier sunset the next day.

I don't know...Even I don't understand myself. When I'm sitting somewhere, watching the sunset, it's like the world's most beautiful mute movie is playing before me. No words need to be spoken, everything is said in silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment