Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

My Modern Day Heroes

An essay I wrote for Creative Writing for a Summer Workshop I enrolled at. This will make or break my chances of entering the 'Pro' Category. *Fingers Crossed*




Sometimes,people who hate you are inevitable; it's part of life.
They'd do anything to harm you, to hurt you.
But me,while everyone else run away from their destruction, I face it.
Sometimes,it's hard to just stand there and watch them destroy what you've struggled to build for a long time.
This is what I tell myself: Let them be, Ashley loves you.
Don't mind them, Caitie loves you.
It's okay, Andrea loves you.

Somehow, even though there might not be truth in those words, I still find comfort at the thought that maybe, just maybe, there's a little chance that it might be true.

Originally, I would have crowned my grandmother as my hero. She is, and she will always be. My level of respect for her is something no one, and nothing, can ever surpass. There's just something about these girls that magnetize me--it's like water for a dying fish.


They are actresses, sure, it's very typical for a girl like me to look up to them. Crazy as it sounds, I don't see them as actresses. They are nice and sweet. They are not attitude divas and they stay true to everyone, especially to themselves, all the time.


Acting is their job, their passion. But beneath those facades of cheery smiles and expensive make ups, they are some people's daughters. They are students, they are sisters, they are some lucky people's friends. That's the reason why I look up to them-not because they are famous, but because they are good people.


Caitie Uhlmann always says she's not worthy of idolization-something I want to contradict, because she is. They all are. The fact that they stand up for their beliefs and do whatever they can to help others is reason enough for people to idolize them. And then, their friendship
...It is a very strong bond that one is ready to give her life for the other. It's the kind of friendship people spend their whole lives looking for, and die finding nothing. It is very rare.

What makes me happy is this: in a way, they are just like me. We all share something in common. At the end of the day, after they've washed their faces and changed into pajamas, they're just girls like me. I know that somehow, like me, they've fallen in love with a best friend, dealt with skin problems, dreamed of their own weddings, had their hearts broken, or skipped classes (uhm, unintentionally) to nurture a friend's broken heart--as ordinary as we could all ever be. I know that when they go to sleep at night, they think about the future, too, or their parents, their families. It reminds me that life could be lonely at times, but I am not alone.

When I was younger, people always asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up. My answer was always just the same: I want to be a teacher. But as they say, people change. I am now a culinary student, a future chef, who dreams of being a writer. You could say I'm confused, but I am not. I just want to achieve so many things. Caitie also said we should regret nothing from our past because that's what brought us to where we are exactly standing today. There's just one thing I want to change. Had I known that time that they exist, instead of saying my usual answer, I'm pretty sure I could have said this: I want to be like Ashley, Caitie, Andrea, Ellie, or Mary. Right now, that's all I want to be,and I'm close to achieving it.

**
Hello Sir Ralph...So you see, they are beautiful girls. I hope I pass. Haha! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment